Answers from Our Experts (1)
The Spa at Mandarin Oriental, New York offers you the best of East Asian spa therapy, along with all the modern-luxuries of a New York locale. Perched on the 35th floor of the Time Warner Center in Manhattan’s Upper West Side, this luxe retreat is decked in rich gold and cream décor to set the calming mood for holistic Asian treatments. Whether you spend the day stretching your core with a Thai yoga massage or sweating out your stress in their aromatherapy steam room, the Forbes Travel Guide Five-Star spa offers more than plenty of amenities to fall in love with. It’s hard to pick favorites, but here are five we loved.
1. Make extra time in your day and head to this spa at least one hour before your appointment just to chill out in the Amethyst-Crystal Steam Room. Low-key color lighting and a variety of scents maximize the relaxation quotient in this warm (107 to 114 degrees) atmosphere.
2. Give your achy muscles a minute to breathe with a dip in the Mandarin’s Vitality Pools. The water is pumped full of 20 times more oxygen than typical H2O, creating a one-of-a-kind wellness experience that gives your skin a big gulp of air. A 10- to 15-minute soak promotes circulation and promises to increase the effectiveness of other treatments; the pools hydrotherapy jets, which massage your muscles as you wade, kick-start the process.
3. From the 72-foot lap pool to the Lobby Lounge, everywhere you turn in Mandarin Oriental, New York features floor-to-ceiling windows bound to give you city views like no other. Whether it’s from your massage table or with a glass of vino after your mani and pedi, enjoy the Central Park and Hudson River vistas from The Spa at Mandarin Oriental’s 35th-floor locale.
4. Each of the six treatment rooms is spacious, but the New York spa has two that shine in particular. The custom-built Thai yoga studio, filled with rich teak wood and gold leaf detailing, resembles a Buddhist temple. The treatment features a Japanese-scented bath, traditional Thai massage and stretching through assisted Western-style yoga movements. You won’t want to leave the VIP Spa Suite, which replicates an oriental home, with a fireplace, dual massage beds, kang (platform) bed and elevated bath.
5. Inspired by traditional culture, the Forbes Travel Guide Five-Star spa offers several journeys that combine a variety of treatments into a complex experience. More than just a massage or scrub, these Journeys — the Himalayan Salt, Sea and Chakra Therapy, the Clearing Factor, the Thai Yoga Experience and the Ayurvedic Ritual Experience — include several hours of Eastern-style therapies including traditional cupping, lymph draining, Thermalism, Chakra therapy and reflexology.