Answers from Our Experts (1)
We are strong believers that you can’t really know The Inn at Little Washington without experiencing the Northern Virginia restaurant yourself. That said, it doesn’t hurt to let you know what you’re getting yourself into — in the best way possible. We’ve come up with a few important things that we think you should know before heading to this Forbes Travel Guide Five-Star restaurant to whet your appetite for your experience here.
1. There’s limited cell service. While it’s part of the beauty of the getaway, it should be noted that you are almost guaranteed no cell service at The Inn at Little Washington. That is unless you have Sprint, since that’s the only cell tower out here. However, we didn’t even notice that we didn’t have service because we were too focused on the decadent meal in front of us.
2. Tour the kitchen. Don’t let your little heart be broken when chef Patrick O’Connell doesn’t come out to your table because you are welcome to visit him in the kitchen. What we think is the most beautiful kitchen in the galaxy is open for tours after your meal. We highly suggest you take advantage of this backstage pass and see where some of the best food you’ll ever taste is created.
3. It’s a long, long meal. Though boredom isn’t even an option during your dinner, you should know that it is extremely drawn out — as it should be. The menu features six- and 10-course tasting menus, designed to be savored with every bite. You should expect your meal to take you at least two hours, regardless of how fast of an eater you are.
4. It’s rich as can be. You can’t say we didn’t warn you that the food is extremely rich; but that’s not to say it isn’t amazing, because it absolutely is. Though you’ll want to eat every single bite of every single course, we urge you to take it slowly. The food is decadent and irresistible, but if you aren’t used to eating this way, your stomach may have a tough time with it. Of course, your taste buds will be in heaven.
5. It’s formal, yet fun. As soon as you see the dining room, you will completely understand the formality, but take another look at the cheese cart and you’ll grasp the quirkiness. Sure you are getting that Five-Star dining experience, but you’ll also be served cheese from a cart shaped as a cow. The cheese expert at the restaurant is extremely quirky — he makes cheese jokes as he explains each cheese to keep the dinner fun and entertaining.