Answers from Our Experts (1)
The Resort at Pelican Hill is the perfect place to get away with the whole family, as the resort is extremely kid-friendly with a variety of activities from golf classes to kayaking to surfing lessons. Here are our picks for the best amenities for kids at the Forbes Travel Guide Five-Star hotel:
1. Camp Pelican. This kids’ program offers half- or full-day sessions for younger and older children. The Kids Club for ages 4 to 12 offers arts and crafts, summer sandcastle building, visits from animals and a kids’ night out with a dinner and a movie. Latitude for Teens is for ages 13 to 17 and has activities off The Resort grounds such as kayaking, surfing lessons, paddle boarding and shopping.
2. Coliseum Pool. The luxury hotel's Coliseum Pool is family-friendly with casual poolside dining, lounge chairs and ocean views. The pool is a perfect, 136-foot wide circle with more than one million glass mosaic tiles on the bottom. Kids also have their own oval-shaped pool at Camp Pelican, adjacent to the Coliseum Pool. The kids area features a bubble jet fountain, a sandbox and a clubhouse with plasma TVs, ping pong, foosball and Wii and PlayStation 3 gaming consoles.
3. Check-in scavenger hunt. Kids get a real welcome here with a fun scavenger hunt that takes them all over The Resort with a map and instructions for the first piece of the puzzle. When they get to their bungalow or villa, children ages 4 to 12 receive a pelican toy and teens 13 to 17 get a disposable underwater camera to document their adventures.
4. The kid-friendly service. The Orange County hotel goes to great lengths to customize your stay and suit your family and your child’s tastes. Before you arrive, the hotel gathers information about your kids’ favorite movies, foods, hobbies, allergies, birthday and nicknames. You’ll find special amenities in your bungalow or villa tailored to your children, such as child-sized robes and night lights. If you have an infant, the hotel can child-proof your room and stock it with a crib, high chair or Diaper Genie for free.
5. Complimentary beach bags. If your kids can’t get enough of the sun, don’t worry, The Resort at Pelican Hill gives out extremely handy complimentary beach bags filled with sand toys and sunblock. Head down to the nearby beach that’s part of Crystal Cove State Park and watch your little ones dig away.