Answers from Our Experts (1)
There are many reasons why you should stay at The Ritz-Carlton, Laguna Niguel, from its sunny spot in Dana Point to its fun offerings, like surfing. Here are five things to know about the Forbes Travel Guide Four-Star hotel:
1. It has a great location right on the beach. The Mediterranean-style property sits atop a 150-foot bluff overlooking the sparkling Pacific Ocean, which means you get fantastic views. Whether you dine at Raya and watch swarms of local surfers ride waves in the morning or indulge in a strawberry-flavored Yuzu Fresa cocktail at the open-air 180blu lounge and watch the sunset in front of a fire pit, you won’t take your eyes off of the water.
2. This is a surfer retreat. The luxury hotel does everything to lure you onto a surfboard. After all, there’s a reason Surfer magazine was founded in Dana Point. Take surf lessons, surf tours, surfer clinics for women and stand-up paddleboarding classes. Wetsuits, Billabong boards, wax and other equipment are provided as well, so all you have to do is show up and dive in.
3. It’s a kid-friendly hotel. The Ritz-Carlton, Laguna Niguel is a family destination, so expect to see a lot of children running around, especially in the summer. The resort keeps kids busy with its heated pool (there’s also another one for adults only) with in-water games like basketball and poolside movies in the summer. There are also two tennis courts, a basketball court, a Ping Pong table, board games (through the concierge) and a library of kiddie movies (it’s kept at the front desk; all rooms are equipped with DVD players). Kids go on a scavenger hunt at check-in and get to choose a prize like a puzzle or Frisbee from a toy chest. Though some of the best activities for kids are through the hotel’s Ambassadors of the Environment program, which plans everything from whale-watching excursions to tide pool trips.
4. Don’t worry about lugging your beach equipment. If the most rigorous activity you wanted to partake in is lounging on the sand, beach butlers are at your beck and call. They will shuttle you to Salt Creek Beach in a golf cart; set you up with beach chairs, umbrellas, towels and sunscreen; dole out body boards, water noodles and other gear; take care of any food and drink orders; and even build sandcastles with the kids.
5. Check out the gym. You’ll be inspired to break a sweat when you see the gym at this Orange County hotel. There are floor-to-ceiling windows that look out on the ocean and sand. You won’t mind another 20 minutes on the elliptical with this beautiful view.