Answers from Our Experts (1)
Puerto Vallarta is filled with everything from swank luxury resorts to modest surfer digs. Here are Forbes Travel Guide editors’ picks for the best places to stay in this oh-so-charming beach town:
1. Four Seasons Resort Punta Mita. Situated on a sleepy peninsula just north of the Jalisco state line in Riviera Nayarit, this luxury resort is a beachfront collection of 173 suites and casitas. The décor exudes modern Mexican luxury and the three pools, two private beaches, a lazy river, two Jack Nicklaus-designed golf courses,10 tennis courts, a 55-foot yacht and 14,000-square-foot spa will keep you busy (or relaxed) throughout your stay. Several excellent dining options are offered, including the poolside Ketsi, the cliff-side, fish market-inspired Bahía by Richard Sandoval, and the Asian-flavored fine-dining restaurant Aramara.
2. The St. Regis Punta Mita Resort. This 120-room Mexican mansion has a Mediterranean flair, a trio of infinity pools, multiple golf courses and tennis courts. You’ll be able to keep lingering restlessness at bay with three full-size restaurants, two spas, an on-call private yacht and daily guided bicycle tours around picturesque Punta Mita. The resort also offers classes in guacamole making, conversational Spanish and cocktail assembly, as well as a first-class kids club. Every April, the resort also plays hosts to the Punta Mita Gourmet & Golf Classic, which draws pro and amateur golfers, as well as an international crowd.
3. Imanta Resorts Punta de Mita. Located on the edge of Selva de Valle national biosphere, this resort is remote, ultra-exclusive and insanely luxurious. With just 12 rooms on the property, the smallest Ocean Casa rings in at 2,500 square feet with its own infinity pool. Other room options range from the 2,500-square-foot Oceanfront casa to the largest option, the three-room, 10,000-square-foot Casona Jaguar that comes with all sorts of high-end pluses (a stunning rooftop terrace with a Jacuzzi, a private beach and a 65-foot infinity-edge lap pool). Other property highlights include the private massage suite, an exercise facility and an Aztec-inspired temazcal (sweat lodge). Walkable trails lace the property, connecting virgin forest to a private beach while airy architecture encourages a constant connection to the surrounding natural paradise.
4. Velas Vallarta. Located right in the heart of Riviera Nayarit, this 345-room all-inclusive, all-suite property has it all — gourmet dining ranging the culinary spectrum from Italy to Ixtapa; a three-tiered infinity pool with views of the Banderas Bay and the Sierra Madre mountains; an award-winning spa with a menu of more than 60 services; and championship golf — to ensure that you have a thoroughly enjoyable stay.
5. Hacienda San Angel. This boutique spot in Puerto Vallarta exudes an Old Hollywood vibe thanks to the villa's former owner, actor Richard Burton, who originally purchased the home as a Valentine's Day gift for his wife, Susan. The suites are decorated with colonial antiques and you’ll find hidden courtyards and terraces with stunning views of the bay below.