Answers from Our Experts (1)
Reno is a family-friendly destination, so you’ll have no problem finding plenty of outdoor activities for energetic children. Here are our Forbes Travel Guide’s editors’ picks for the best things to do with kids in Reno.
1. Float down the river. Your first stop should be to the Truckee River, where you can float in the warmer months or join a kayak excursion (Truckee River Whitewater Park). The downtown river walk is also fun for children.
2. See hot air balloons. The most popular annual event in Reno for children is the Great Reno Balloon Race. Time your visit to the first weekend of September and you’ll find the sky full of hot air balloons. You can rise early (you will see plenty of other strollers) and walk amongst the inflating balloons at Rancho San Rafael Regional Park for dawn patrol.
3. Book it to a ballgame. Most kids love baseball, hotdogs and cheering. Grab tickets for a game at the Reno Aces Ballpark, newly constructed (opened spring 2009) and within walking distance of the casino parking garages. The park is small – this is a minor league team – but there’s not a bad seat in the stadium.
4. Put on your walking shoes. Hike with the kids near the river at Mayberry Park or Idlewild (downtown). If you want to have a western experience, passing through Reno’s horse country in the middle of the city, visit Bartley Ranch.
5. Ice skate. The Rink on the River is a fun downtown activity during winter, operating daily during the season (weather and ice conditions permitting), with evening hours on weekends.