Answers from Our Experts (2)
The biggest little city in the world and the surrounding area has many different types of lodging, whether you are looking for the energy of hotel casino, upscale accommodations or the down-home comfort of a bed and breakfast. Forbes Travel Guide’s editors’ recommend these properties if you’re seeking the best places to stay in Reno.
1. Atlantis Casino Resort Spa. With a spa, eight restaurants and a casino, you’ll never have to leave this resort. It's also the only Forbes Travel Guide Recommended property in Reno, making it the best place to stay in town. Between the indoor and outdoor pools, event and entertainment spaces and the kids center, there’s something for everyone here.
2. Whitney Peak Hotel. When you need a break from the glare of the casinos, check into this non-gaming, non-smoking hotel. The boutique property is hip and fun with splashy interiors that meld Chicago architecture with a retro vibe. It also boasts the world's tallest outdoor climbing wall. Scale its 16 stories for amazing views over downtown Reno.
3. Hyatt Regency Lake Tahoe Resort, Spa & Casino. Recently renovated, the luxurious Hyatt Regency Lake Tahoe Resort, Spa & Casino has a scenic lakefront location for a grand Sierra Nevada vacation. Don’t forget to relax in the heated pool – it has a spectacular mountain view.
4. The Grand Sierra Resort & Casino. This hotel, located off Highway 395, is known for its eclectic mix of entertainment options, starting with a bowling alley, discount cinema, large concert theater (featuring bands such as Florence + the Machine) and mini golf course. Stay in the Summit rooms for a luxury experience – you can choose between two different grand suites, a loft suite or a two-bedroom imperial suite.
5. Cobb Mansion. If you want a Victorian B&B experience take a short drive to Virginia City and stay at the Cobb Mansion. This charming historic home, decked out Victorian era antiques, serves a wonderful breakfast. You’ll want to wake up for the eggs Florentine and Belgian waffles.
In Reno the options are pretty much limited to casino hotels, and while most of the ones downtown are somewhat faded, the standalone trio, Atlantis, Peppermill and Grand Sierra are surprisingly impressive. Atlantis Casino Resort Spa has the town’s only concierge tower (and is the only Forbes Travel Guide Recommended property in the city), with large rooms featuring oversized whirlpools, and its spa is outstanding, truly world class, with all the usual amenities plus hammam, cold room, salt room, etc. It also has the best steakhouse in town. The Peppermill also boasts a large spa, excellent pool complex, and rooms with jetted tubs, while the revamped Grand Sierra has lots of family friendly amenities like a bowling alley, movie theater, and more, plus the city’s liveliest nightlife scene.