Answers from Our Experts (1)
Chef William Bradley at Addison, the Forbes Travel Guide Five-Star restaurant at Fairmont Grand Del Mar, believes in changing the menu frequently to offer diners the most fresh and seasonal experience possible. With these changes, it’s difficult to guarantee that a dish our Forbes Travel Guide editors enjoyed will be featured when you arrive. With that in mind, here are the five best things to order at Addison:
1. Gougères. These warm little savory puffs make a delightful way to begin a meal and give you something delicious to savor with a cocktail.
2. Fraise Petillant Cocktail. The seasonal strawberries, vanilla-infused rum and champagne in the effervescent Fraise Petillant — French for “sparkling strawberry” — will envelop you in a cloud of fragrance.
3. Coddled farm egg. Bradley loves playing with the egg and there’s usually a special egg offering on the menu. This spring, he created a gently cooked, creamy egg with delicate flavors of fava beans, gouda cheese and ham hock.
4. Coffee-roasted canard. The idea of using coffee to roast a duck might sound odd, but the complex flavors in bittersweet coffee add notes of depth to the succulent canard. Rare koshihikari rice and candied peanuts offer textural and flavor counterpoints.
5. Brownie à la mode. Rest assured this isn’t any ordinary brownie. Addison’s pastry chef crafts this delightful dessert from the finest French chocolate and pairs it with tantalizing sour cherry marmalade and crunchy pistachios. It might just be the best brownie you’ll ever eat.