Answers from Our Experts (1)
The Campton Place Restaurant has an exciting new culinary direction and menu since executive chef Srijith Gopinathan, a native of Southern India, took over the kitchen in 2008. His French-California cuisine has a subtle Indian influence, so look for dishes such as a Wagyu beef rib-eye steak with foraged morel mushrooms or slow-cooked halibut with vadouvan spices. Here are Forbes Travel Guide editors’ favorite things to order:
1. Duck. Whether you prefer succulent duck confit classically paired with lentils or meaty duck breast with spiced cherry chutney, you’ll find both here.
2. Cheeseburger. One of the hottest items on the Campton Place bar menu is the cheeseburger. It stars naturally raised beef that’s cooked to your liking and then topped with melted cheese and perfect French fries.
3. Wine. The wine list at Campton Place is curated by Master Sommelier Richard Dean. He’s chosen some of the best wines from Europe, the US and New Zealand to offer to guests.
4. Chef’s Tasting Menu. Order this when you have an appetite for a succession of chef Gopinathan’s favorite dishes. A recent tasting menu began with a summer tomato, melon and basil salad followed by lobster with tomato butter and cilantro. Expect a meaty entrée such as Angus tenderloin, a cheese course and a taste of something sweet
5. Key lime tart. Key lime pie is always cool and refreshing; this version takes the classic dessert in a new direction with avocado and spicy chili meringue.