Answers from Our Experts (1)
The Lodge at Sea Island Golf Club feels like an elegant country club, albeit, one where you have your own personal butler. The activities here reflect that upscale feel, so you’ll want to pack accordingly. Before you leave for this Forbes Travel Guide Five-Star hotel, be sure to grab these five things:
1. Golf clubs. The luxury hotel is without a doubt a golf-focused resort. So much so that Golf Digest Index recently listed it as one of the best golf hotels in the world, and number one in the United States. The Lodge itself is sandwiched between two immaculately maintained courses, the Seaside (par 70) and the Plantation (par 72). We recommend playing a round or two on the Seaside course, so you can take in ocean views while taking on 18 challenging holes.
2. Dressy clothes. The dress code at the Forbes Travel Guide Five-Star Sea Island hotel is formal. The restaurant at The Lodge, Colt & Alison, asks that men wear a jacket, collared shirt and slacks to dinner. Ladies, you should follow suit and pack a nice dress or slacks to wear here. Several activities at The Lodge also require a more refined look, including bingo night.
3. Fishing pole. Whether you’re a novice or an experienced fisherman, you won’t want to miss the chance to dip your pole in the waters of the Georgia coast. The Sea Island Yacht Club, just a short shuttle ride from The Lodge, offers fishing trips on its beautifully restored yachts.
4. Bathing suit. While there’s no pool directly at The Lodge, The Cloister nearby has three, and all you have to do is take the free shuttle to get there. The Sea Island Beach Club sits on five miles of pristine beach. You can try your snorkeling or scuba classes here, or just relax on a padded lounge chair at one of the oceanfront pools.
5. Tennis racquet. Guests of the luxury hotel have access to The Cloister's eight clay courts, so you can play an intense game of doubles or work on improving your game with lessons from a pro. Tennis clinics are available for adults, and there’s a weekly round robin for those who want to take their game to the next level.