Answers from Our Experts (1)
If there’s one thing that Seoul does best, it’s shopping. From large underground malls to the “Rodeo Drive” in Apgujeong, there is something for everyone. Whether you’re a bargain hunter looking for a good deal or splurging on designer wear, you’ll find it in Seoul. Here’s where our Forbes Travel Guide editors say you can find the best shopping in Seoul:
1. Myeongdong. Walk the streets of this fashion mecca and join the large crowds of visitors that frequent this area to shop, eat, and then shop some more. You’ll find streets lined with international brands and alleyways full of good eats. Or hop down the street to Lotte Young Plaza to catch a movie and browse the latest arrivals.
2. Underground. The wealthy Gangnam district is home to many of the underground shopping malls in Seoul, including the biggest in Asia, COEX. Check out the Express Bus Terminal at the subway station with the same name (on Line 3, 7, and 9) for bargain prices on clothing, shoes and accessories.
3. The markets. The streets of Namdaemun’s traditional markets are lined with shops that offer great prices on products such as children’s clothing, bags and traditional Korean souvenirs. The more modern Dongdaemun consists of tall buildings that are open ‘till morning for night owl shoppers. Young people flock to this area looking for the latest fashions that fit their budget.
4. Department stores. Visit the multi-story Lotte, Shinsegae, and Hyundai department stores. What’s different about these department stores is that they have groceries where you’ll find a mind-boggling array of produce in addition to the floors of designer wear and home goods. Don’t forget to check out the food courts, too, which sell mouthwatering dishes and fresh baked goods.
5. Apgujeong. Luxury is at your fingertips in the Apgujeong neighborhood, also known as the Beverly Hills of Seoul. If you’re looking for designer labels and luxury goods, visit the chic boutiques that give this area its iconic reputation.