Answers from Our Experts (1)
As the oldest hotel in Shanghai, Fairmont Peace Hotel is a historic landmark. Before you pack your bags for this Forbes Travel Guide Four-Star hotel, here are five things you should know:
1. It features opulent Art Deco décor. Fairmont Peace Hotel pays homage to 1930s Shanghai with its masterful Art Deco design. The grand lobby is particularly impressive.
2. It has a rich history. The Forbes Travel Guide Four-Star hotel displays various original artworks and antiques that shed light on the cultural prowess of the hotel. These pieces all have a story behind them — tales of the entrepreneurs, diplomats and celebrities that visited the famous hotel, drinking tea in Jasmine Salon and enjoying concerts at the world-renowned Jazz Bar.
3. Even though it has been around for years, it boasts modern technology. You’ll find LCD TVs, Blu-ray DVD players and iPod docking stations in the guestrooms.
4. You can hear some of the city’s best jazz music here. The legendary Jazz Bar hums with tunes from Theo Croker and the house band.
5. You can take a tour to learn more. If you’re interested in learning more about hotel founder Sir Victor Sassoon and Shanghai’s engaging history, you can ask about taking a private tour of the space with the hotel’s knowledgeable curator.