Answers from Our Experts (1)
Fairmont Peace Hotel is a historic hotel in the center of bustling Shanghai. Here are the five best things about the Forbes Travel Guide Four-Star hotel:
1. The lobby. You’ll sense the history of the hotel as soon as you step inside the impressive lobby. Its elegant surroundings welcome visitors with its grand space and murals of the Bund (the boardwalk along the river) that adorn the walls.
2. The history. The Four-Star Fairmont Peace Hotel has a rich history. During the 1930s it was an avant-garde attraction that drew diplomats, celebrities and business tycoons from around the globe. Look out for the lobby’s Steinway piano, where Charlie Chaplin composed “Smile.” You’ll also see priceless Lalique antiques in Jasmine Lounge.
3. The Jazz Bar. Locals and tourists flock to this bar to hear legendary jazz music. The chic spot also serves up vintage cocktails, which you can sip while you listen to the in-house jazz quartet that plays nightly.
4. Elegant bites. Jasmine Lounge offers traditional English afternoon tea, while Dragon Phoenix restaurant serves a variety of Shanghainese delicacies.
5. Lavish suites. While the stately public spaces offer a glimpse of the Forbes Travel Guide Four-Star hotel’s greatness, the silk-laden suites are decorated with comfortable, beautiful furnishings picked specifically for each room. Hotel founder Sir Victor Sassoon once lived on the 10th floor of the hotel, and today his former personal quarters comprise the lavish Presidential Sassoon Suite.