Answers from Our Experts (1)
As you would expect from a luxury hotel, Forbes Travel Guide Five-Star The Peninsula Shanghai offers some top-notch amenities. Here are the five best:
1. The in-room technology. At the push of a button, you can decrease the room’s humidity, check the temperature outside — in Fahrenheit or Celsius — draw the drapes, run a bath, turn on Internet radio or dry your nails. You’ll find control panels everywhere in the room. Every room also comes with its own combination fax, printer and photocopy machine. Not only is it helpful for business travelers, it’s a discreet way for staff to contact you when you turn on the “Do Not Disturb” light.
2. Free VOIP international calling. It makes it that much easier to contact friends, family or colleagues back home, at no cost. Though, if you prefer to Skype, there’s complimentary Wi-Fi, too.
3. The spa. While you can try to create your own spa experience by hitting the “spa” button near your oversized bathroom tub, it doesn’t compare to the Five-Star Peninsula Spa by ESPA. Whether you indulge in the Oriental Thermal Infusion to eliminate toxins or get your tired feet kneaded with some reflexology, you’ll leave feeling refreshed.
4. Helpful business extras. Things like office supplies — including mini Post-its, paperclips, erasers, a small stapler, stationery and rubber bands — and a bag of computer cables make working a breeze. They are a big help for harried business travelers.
5. Beautiful books. Each room in the Five-Star hotel includes a selection of colorful coffee table books, which feature photo essays on Shanghai or 20th-century Asian artwork. The magazines aren’t an afterthought here, either; a rack held the latest issue of Harper’s Bazaar and local arts and entertainment publication That’s Shanghai.