Answers from Our Experts (1)
The presentation at The Peninsula Shanghai’s restaurants are outstanding and, of course, delicious. Here are five things to eat at drink during your stay at this Forbes Travel Guide Five-Star hotel:
1. Spinach salad. At the Five-Star hotel’s fine-dining restaurant Sir Elly’s, we highly recommend the spinach salad. It’s beautifully plated deconstruction of baby spinach leaves, fingerling potatoes, chickpeas and fresh-shaved black truffle.
2. Scallops. For classic Cantonese fare, head to Yi Long Court and order the pan-fried scallops. In the signature dish, the scallops are stuffed with minced shrimp and doused in a black bean sauce. (If you’re there in season, try the hairy crab, a local specialty.)
3. Oysters. Be sure to sample Sir Elly’s Restaurant’s Fine de Claire oysters, which come with black truffle, gold leaves and apple pearl.
4. Maine lobster. For a super-luxurious main dish, dig in to Sir Elly’s lobster, which is cleverly tucked inside a hollowed-out Granny Smith apple and served with seared foie gras and pear foam.
5. Whiskey and cognac. The list for these drinks is indulgently lengthy, with a strong focus on single-malts. Order one at Sir Elly’s chic black-and-red bar and gaze out the big-picture windows at the Bund or, if weather permits, take it outside on the popular terrace.