Answers from Our Experts (1)
As far as luxury hotels in Shanghai go, Waldorf Astoria Shanghai on the Bund is tops. Before you check in at the Five-Star hotel, here are five things you should know:
1. The in-room technology at Waldorf Astoria Shanghai is top of the line. You’ll find digital controls for the room’s temperature, drapes, lighting and more. All the rooms are equipped with an energy-saving system that lowers the temperature and dims the lights when you leave your room. In addition to Wi-Fi throughout the hotel, each room has a Bluetooth keyboard so you can use the LCD television to surf the Internet.
2. The hotel is made up of two buildings: the Heritage Building and the new tower. The former, which houses 20 suites, is 101 years old and includes restored detailing like crown moldings and wainscoting. The new tower has 237 rooms and suites and is home to the gym, pool, soon-to-open spa and Grand Brasserie, the hotel’s all-day dining restaurant.
3. Waldorf Astoria Shanghai on the Bund does a lovely afternoon tea in Salon de Ville, which is on the first floor of the hotel’s historic Bund-side building and is decorated like a 19-century tea salon.
4. The hotel uses Salvatore Ferragamo bath products in the standard rooms, and Hermès bath products in the Heritage Building suites and in the presidential suite.
5. The 20 suites in the hotel’s 101-year-old Heritage Building have hosted guests like the crown princes of Luxembourg and Belgium.