Answers from Our Experts (1)
Choosing just five things to do near Waldorf Astoria Shanghai on the Bund is tough, but we’ve narrowed it down for you. Here are our picks for the five best:
1. Take a walk along the Bund. The waterfront area houses Shanghai’s richest collection of historical architecture. One notable is the 101-year-old Heritage Building, where you’ll find 20 of the Waldorf’s suites.
2. Shop on East Nanjing Road. The pedestrian area is Shanghai’s oldest shopping street. It’s lined with loads of chain stores, as well as a collection of Chinese grocery stores and snack stalls.
3. Take a ferry ride. Hop on a ferry on the Puxi side of the Bund. Once you’re in Pudong, you can go to the top of the Shanghai World Financial Center to look out from the sky-high observation deck.
4. Ride through the Bund Tourist Tunnel. After your trip to Pudong, head back to the hotel by taking a cab ride through the Bund Tourist Tunnel. It’s a short and strange ride — lots of flashing neon lights delivered with a side of Shanghai history — but it makes for a good story when you’re back home.
5. Stroll over to Dongtai Lu Antiques Market. Although the authenticity of nearly all the market’s furniture is questionable, you’ll have a good time perusing the wardrobes, benches and vintage advertisements.