Answers from Our Experts (1)
To find the best places to eat in Venice, you often have to get a little off the beaten path. Here are Forbes Travel Guide's editors' picks for the five best places to eat in Venice, Italy.
1. Anice Stellato. Safely removed from the tourist-heavy areas, Anice Stellato is a local favorite on the north side of the city. Expect simple and elegant Italian dishes like pasta with prawns and zucchini.
2. Al Ponte del Megio. This fish restaurant has one of the best locations in Venice: right on the canal in Santa Croce. When it's warm out, you can sit outside and watch the gondolas go by.
3. Da Fiore. Thanks to the 2003 Da Fiore Cookbook, this restaurant is a hotspot with a reputation for being one of Venice’s best. The always-delicious dishes from chef Mara Martin are new spins on Venetian classics, such as whole wheat pasta with sardines and caramelized onions as well as eel with celery and blueberries.
4. Locanda Cipriani. On the island of Torcello, this elegant restaurant is run by the Cipriani family, who founded hotspots Harry's Bar and the Hotel Cipriani. The restaurant has gorgeous views of Torcello's churches, and its food, which includes fish and pasta, is top-notch.
5. Corte Sconta. Popular with both tourists and local foodies, this vine-covered spot serves house-made pasta dishes like gnocchi with shrimp. Come in the warm-weather months when you can dine in its idyllic courtyard surrounded by trees.