Answers from Our Experts (2)
If you’re considering a stay at the Forbes Travel Guide Recommended Willard InterContinental in Washington, D.C., here are things you should know:
1. The location. There are iconic monuments, museums and famous locations around every corner near the Willard, which is located conveniently just one block from the White House and the National Mall. Head there to visit many of the Smithsonian Institution’s 19 museums, the Lincoln Memorial and the Washington Monument.
2. The history. The Willard is filled with historical details that you’ll want to remember. Ask the concierge for a map to find your state seal in the lobby — all 50 can be found among the squares of the cavernous ceiling. In the hotel’s onsite museum you can learn about its history as the “Residence of Presidents,” a name that hearkens back to when presidents-elect used the location near the White House as a transitional residence in the weeks prior to their inauguration.
3. The event space. The beauty of the D.C. hotel is on display on a grand scale inside many of its 20 meeting and event spaces. The signature is the Willard Room, a 3,120-square-foot space that can seat up to 325 for a theater-style event or 220 for banquet-style seating. It’s decked out in dark wood and splayed with marble columns, golden chandeliers and soft lighting.
4. The gym. The Willard’s gym is spacious and includes an outdoor relaxation terrace with tables, chairs and umbrellas for cooling down after a workout when the weather’s warm. Use the complimentary headphones on three elliptical machines, three stationary bikes and five treadmills along the gym’s mirrored back wall. There are also five strength-training machines and an adjustable cable station with two stacks and a pull-up bar. If you’re looking for a free-weights workout, you’ll find a dumbbell set that goes up to 80 pounds — much heavier than at most hotel gyms. Use them on one of two adjustable benches before using the complimentary water cooler and piles of towels
5. The Red Door spa. Enjoy a facial, makeup application, special-occasion hair services, nail services, body treatments or a relaxing massage at the Recommended spa. Massages last from 25 minutes (the Swedish-style Time Saver massage) to 110 minutes (the signature Stress Melter ritual) and are well worth it.
Five things to know about Willard InterContinental are:
1. Café du Parc restaurant ranks in Washingtonian Magazine’s “Top 100 Restaurants.”
2. Elizabeth Arden’s Red Door Spa is located in our hotel.
3. The hotel boasts of more than 150 years of American history.
4. The Willard contains over 22,000 square feet of banquet and event space to host everything from meetings to gala dinners to weddings.
5. The Willard is located one block from the White House, National Mall and Metro Center.