Answers from Our Experts (2)
The amenities you’ll love best at the Forbes Travel Guide Recommended Willard InterContinental hotel in Washington D.C. are the following:
1. The museum. Located down Peacock Alley, the long hall from the lobby, the museum space explains the history of the Willard, including its reputation as “Residence of Presidents,” a name that hearkens back to when presidents-elect used the location near the White House as a transitional residence in the weeks prior to their inauguration. There are also small exhibits.
2. The Round Robin & Scotch Bar. This bar specializes in classic cocktails, especially mint juleps, but it’s the location that’s most special. Though the structure has changed, the bar is in the same location where Thomas Jefferson, Abraham Lincoln and Ulysses Grant once sipped drinks at the Willard. The space, which is open from noon to 1 a.m. Monday to Saturday, is adorned with pictures of presidents and other luminaries who have tippled there, including Woodrow Wilson and Mark Twain. The Round Robin also includes an adjacent Scotch bar that features more than 100 bottles of whiskey.
3. Room service. The D.C. hotel's expansive room service menu means you won’t need to leave for a bite. The breakfast menu is available from 6 a.m. until 11:30 a.m. and ranges from classics like a continental breakfast to decadent day-starters like the breakfast filet mignon. All-day dining goes from 11 a.m. to 11 p.m. with sandwiches, salads, pizzas, macaroni and cheese and entrées like the popular roasted organic chicken ($24). Late-night dining is available from 11 p.m. to 6 a.m. with items like a Margherita pizza, a turkey club and a trio of freshly baked cookies. Peruse the “Willard on Wings” section for meals to go.
4. The gym. The gym includes an outdoor relaxation terrace with tables, chairs and umbrellas for cooling down after a workout when the weather’s warm. Inside, use the complimentary headphones on three elliptical machines, three stationary bikes and five treadmills along the gym’s mirrored back wall. There are also five strength-training machines and free weights.
5. The Red Door Spa. Enjoy a facial, makeup application, special occasion hair services, nail services, body treatments or a relaxing massage at the Recommended spa. Massages last from 25 minutes (the Swedish-style Time Saver massage) to 110 minutes (the signature Stress Melter ritual) and are well worth it.
The five best amenities at Willard InterContinental include: The Café du Parc, the Round Robin Bar, Red Door Spa, private in-room dining and our concierge staff.