Answers from Our Experts (1)
It may not be the country’s capital, but Zurich has more to see and do than any other Swiss city. Here are the Forbes Travel Guide editors’ tips for the five best things to see and do in Zurich:
1. Explore the Fraumünster. A Gothic church dating back more than 1,000 years, Fraumünster is one of the highlights of the Old Town. Along with its tower visible for miles and wonderful frescoes, the church is famous for its five large stained glass windows, installed by modernist master Marc Chagall in 1970.
2. Learn about Dadaism. The Dada art movement – conceived as a “protest against the madness of the times” – started in 1916 in the Cabaret Voltaire nightclub on Spiegelgasse. Today, the former cabaret it is filled with exhibitions, a bar and a small library.
3. Head into nature. In Zurich, nature is never too far away. Head to Lake Zurich for a boat trip, hike up the Uetliberg mountain for a panoramic view of the city, or go in search of diverse wildlife in the Sihl Forest.
4. Visit the Kunsthaus. Zurich has more than a dozen art museums, but the most significant of these is the simply titled Kunsthaus (Art House). It’s famous for its collection that includes works by the 18th-century Swiss painter Henry Fuseli and the 20th-century Swiss sculptor Alberto Giacometti.
5. Catch a show. Zurich has a full and varied cultural calendar, so every visit will offer different events. For a guaranteed high-quality show, visit the Opera House (for opera and ballet), the Tonhall Orchester (for classical concerts) or the Schauspielhaus (for traditional theatrical productions).