Answers from Our Experts (1)
As one of the world’s great business hubs, Zurich offers an abundance of distinctive and luxurious hotels that offer every modern amenity and comfort. Here are Forbes Travel Guide editor’s suggestions for the five best places to stay in Zurich:
1. The Dolder Grand. An extraordinary 19th-century Zurich luxury hotel on the outskirts of the city, the Dolder Grand offers 173 spectacular rooms and suites, world-class cuisine and a spectacular Alpine setting. It also boasts many ways to relax — from a top-notch spa retreat to the adjacent nine-hole golf course.
2. Widder Hotel. Ideally located just steps from the chic Bahnhofstrasse, the Widder artfully juxtaposes modern and classic design. The hotel is set inside 10 Old Town houses built from the 12th to 17th centuries; yet the décor and furnishings are contemporary. There are just 49 rooms including the seven suites, and each one is different. So while one room might offer an Italian baroque feel, another stuns with its artsy loft-like vibe.
3. Baur au Lac. Family owned for more than 160 years, the recently renovated Baur au Lac combines historic elegance with modern luxury. The marble-swathed bathrooms are impressively large and the hotel has an exclusive top-floor fitness center with stunning views of Lake Zurich and the Alps. Aside from the attractive interiors and crafted comfort, the hotel is also home to the summer restaurant Le Pavillion and winter restaurant Le Salon Français renowned for serving the best Mediterranean haute cuisine in Zurich.
4. Alden Hotel Splugenschloss. Located in a building dating back to 1895, an extensive renovation in 2004 restored the Alden to its original beauty. You’ll find this boutique hotel with just 22 rooms offers classic service and décor. The rooms feature both contemporary furniture and antiques, while the suites impress with perks like private rooftop terraces and saunas.
5. Park Hyatt Zurich. For a prime location in Zurich, it’s hard to beat this ultra-luxe Park Hyatt. Each spacious room in this striking newly built hotel is outfitted with modern multimedia technology, wireless Internet access and one-touch controls for the lighting and sound systems. You’ll be in the heart of the commercial district and just a few steps from the exclusive Bahnhofstrasse shopping street and Lake Zurich. It’s also within easy strolling distance of the city’s finest restaurants and bars.