Answers from Our Experts (2)
The best things to do near The Sanctuary at Kiawah Island Golf Resort are geared toward the active visitor. Miles of lush golf courses, winding bike trails and a gorgeous coastline all invite you to enjoy the outdoors during your stay on Kiawah Island. So head outside and try these activities at the Forbes Travel Guide Five-Star hotel:
1. Go golfing. Take advantage of the beautiful courses that showcase the best landscapes that Kiawah Island has to offer. The coastline, lagoon and plethora of marshes, along with the tropical palms and breathtaking moss-draped trees, create a distinctly Southern golfing experience. The Sanctuary sits closest to Turtle Point Course, with Osprey Point, Cougar Point and Oak Point just minutes away. The most difficult and world-renowned course on Kiawah Island is the Ocean, which hosted the 2012 PGA Championships.
2. Hit the beach. Walk out the back door onto the luxury hotel's private beach and everything will be prepped for your day in the sand. The staff sets up umbrellas and lounge chairs. You'll sink right into the comfy lounge chair, which is draped with three towels including one that's perfectly placed to create a headrest.
3. Play in the pool. If you are more of a pool person than beach-goer, you will love the three separate outdoor pools and two hot tubs available on the luxury Kiawah Island hotel grounds. A kiddie pool, a large all-ages pool complete with a fountain and a relaxing adults-only infinity pool are all surrounded by comfortable lounge chairs and umbrellas. The pools are steps away from Loggerhead Bar & Grill, where servers will take your orders poolside.
4. Bike or jog. Kiawah Island has 32 miles of biking and jogging trails, with bicycle rentals available for half or full days. These trails wind through the tropical island, giving you an up-close view of the nature and wildlife that makes the Sanctuary a secluded paradise.
5. Visit the spa. Okay, going to the spa isn't an outdoor activity, but the Five-Star Spa at The Sanctuary at Kiawah Island should not be missed. Your worries will melt away as you enjoy amenities like a whirlpool, sauna, steam room and solariums, not to mention the spa's slate of massages, facials, wraps and other services.
The five best things to do near The Sanctuary at Kiawah Island are:
1. Play golf on one of the resort’s five championship golf courses, including The Ocean Course, site of the 1991 Ryder Cup and the 2012 PGA Championship.
2. Play tennis on one of the resort’s two world-class tennis centers.
3. Experience the 11 outstanding restaurants on the resort.
4. Fish or go kayaking on the Kiawah River or surrounding coastal system through the resort’s recreation department.
5. Head into beautiful and historic Charleston, S.C., for some shopping and to try out some of it’s world-class restaurants.