Answers from Our Experts (1)
The restaurants in Monte Carlo complement the luxe French Riviera setting. With establishments helmed by chefs including Alain Ducasse and Joël Robuchon, you may have a tough time deciding where to eat. Our Forbes Travel Guide editors help you narrow it down to five of the best places to eat in Monte Carlo:
1. Le Louis XV – Alain Ducasse. Housed in the world-famous Hôtel de Paris, Le Louis XV may be chef Alain Ducasse’s best restaurant. The restaurant has been around for 25 years and the gorgeous dining room is over-the-top luxurious. Enjoy a seasonal prix fixe menu focused on sublimely simple Mediterranean flavors and a superb wine list. Note that jackets are required.
2. Joël Robuchon Monte-Carlo. Celebrity chef Joël Robuchon’s Monte Carlo outpost is Hôtel Metropole’s signature restaurant. The Mediterranean-inspired menu changes regularly but you’re bound to see Robuchon favorites such as the John Dory and the chef’s famous mashed potatoes. The intimate dining room includes an open teppanyaki-style kitchen and features views of the water. The restaurant is open for lunch and dinner.
3. Rampoldi. Perched on the edge of the Casino Gardens, Rampoldi has been around since the 1950s. The Italian spirit adds to the charm of the French menu — after all, Monaco is a mix of both cultures. You’ll find delicious dishes like ravioli stuffed with crayfish and crêpes Suzette for dessert.
4. La Mandarine. Overlooking the yacht-filled harbor, this sleek yet comfortable restaurant offers delightfully inventive Mediterranean fare. The menu features everything from grilled duck foie gras with creamy artichoke and corn to wild sea bass with mushrooms and raviolini filled with chorizo and Italian zucchini.
5. Le Vistamar. Chef Joël Garault heads up Hôtel Hermitage’s top-notch seafood restaurant. As if the décor by Pierre Yves Rochon weren’t enough, the elegant restaurant thrives on its seaside location. With fish dominating the menu, you can taste the freshness as you look out onto the harbor. In the summer, opt for a table on the terrace for a great view of the famous Rock.