Answers from Our Experts (2)
The Peninsula New York is a Forbes Travel Guide Five-Star luxury hotel in Manhattan’s bustling Midtown known for personalized attention to detail and upscale amenities. Before you book your stay, here are the top five things you should know about the hotel:
1. The hotel’s 22nd-floor pool treats you to relaxing chaise lounges and a sweeping view of Fifth Avenue. In the summer there’s a sun deck — one of the few offered at Manhattan hotels — so if you’re traveling during the warmer months, be sure to set aside time for swimming and sunning.
2. The Peninsula New York is kid-friendly, with numerous activities for children and food tailored toward a youngster’s palate. There’s a junior tea service in the Gotham Lounge, where little ones can snack on sandwiches, cupcakes and hot cocoa, as well as kid-oriented room service, including mac and cheese, corn-flake-crusted brioche French toast and mocktails such as the Spider Man — ginger ale, cranberry and orange juices with a chocolate and cherry net sprawled over the glass. The hotel also features children’s programs, such as tours of New York or an interactive culinary class with the hotel’s pastry chef.
3. When you stay at The Peninsula New York, soak up a bit of history. Built in 1905, the building is a landmark and former home of the Gotham, a historic hotel. Designed in a traditional Beaux-Arts style, the structure reaches 23 stories up and embodies a rich, understated elegance typical of turn-of-the-century New York architecture.
4. Staying in the lap of luxury and within proximity of dozens of prime shopping locations and cultural activities doesn’t come cheap. The New York hotel has multiple room options, and the price varies depending on the time of year you visit. The standard superior room starts at $975 a night, while suites start at $1,375 and climb all the way to $16,000 per night. It’s a splurge, for sure, but it includes all the finest details you can imagine.
5. The gym and the Forbes Travel Guide Five-Star Peninsula Spa are among the best and most lavish amenities at the hotel. Located within the spa, the gym boasts floor-to-ceiling windows overlooking Fifth Avenue, flat-screen TVs, bamboo floors, a multitude of cardio and weight-training equipment and a separate glass-encased studio for exercise classes. You have access to the lockers, showers, steam room and sauna at the spa, and can book appointments for pampering spa services including facials, wraps and a host of massages — hot stone, aromatherapy, deep tissue and Swedish, to name a few.
1. It has complimentary Wi-Fi. The hotel offers complimentary wired and Wi-Fi Internet access for the duration of your stay. In addition, if you’re traveling with your laptop, each room is equipped with a multi-functional printer-scanner-copier, which can be easily hooked up to your laptop. The business center is located adjacent to the Concierge desk and is available 24 hours a day.
2. It’s family-friendly. The Peninsula New York welcomes all members of your family or entourage. Our specialized “Pen Kids” program encourages activities all over the hotel including a welcome treat, custom bathrobe and slippers and plenty of board and video games.
3. It’s pet-friendly. Our four-legged friends are treated just like our two-legged guests, with a special welcome amenity, pet beds, special room service menu and other treats. Our iconic pages are available to walk your dog as well.
4. It has complimentary Mini Coopers for suite guests. Our chauffeur-driven bespoke Mini Cooper S Clubmen are ready to whirl you through the city for up to three hours for all guests who book a suite. The Mini comes with a tailor-made rooftop box perfect to store your purchases, a mini-fridge for refreshments and an iPad at your fingertips.
5. It has complimentary group exercise classes. All hotel guests have access to our Five-Star rated fitness center. There they are able to participate in organized classes including Pilates and kettle bell, consult with a personal trainer, a yoga class on the Sun Terrace and even an aqua-aerobics class at our glass-enclosed pool.