Answers from Our Experts (1)
There are five things to know about the Andaz Shanghai:
1. Location. The newly opened hotel is located just across the Langham and on the borders of Xintiandi, the bustling commercial and dining area sprouted from old Shanghai shikumens.
2. Lots of freebies. In addition to complimentary Wi-Fi, the non-alcoholic beverages and snacks in the room mini-bars are free and refreshed daily. The reception area also has an all-day refreshment station for in-house guests, which includes white and red wine from 5 to 7 p.m.
3. Buzzy lobby. The open two-story lobby features a sunken living room-style lounge with framed photos of guests and stacks of magazines. Casual meetings, more intimate conversations and guests hunkering down with their laptops are familiar sights throughout the day, though guests seeking more discretion can access the elevator bank without passing through the lounge.
4. Laidback service style. Staff is quick to greet and assist guests, but the more casual style of the Forbes Travel Guide Four-Star hotel means baggage assistance to the room is not a guarantee, nor is a reliable concierge service.
5. Recreation facilities underground. Those who enjoy a view while working out should steer clear of the gym on the basement level, which overlooks the glass-walled swimming pool one floor below. Treadmills and elliptical machines face a wall of neon LED lights, which are hard on the eyes.