Answers from Our Experts (1)
As one of Shanghai’s new luxury hotels, Mandarin Oriental Pudong, Shanghai certainly aims to impress. While we could easily come up with a laundry list of notable tidbits, here are five we think you should know about the Forbes Travel Guide Five-Star hotel:
1. The city hotel has a considerable amount of green space. Despite its location in downtown Shanghai, the hotel truly feels more like a respite from the crowds and towering buildings of the area. Between the riverfront position and manicured grounds viewable from various points around the hotel (restaurants, bars), you get a unique combination of a metropolitan atmosphere with a slice of sanctuary.
2. The hotel boasts the largest Presidential Suite in the city. The suite is already fast-becoming a popular reservation — during our visit there was a global pop star calling it his home — and for good reason. Measuring in at more than 8,000-square-feet, the Presidential Suite affords plenty of luxe touches such as a garden terrace and unbeatable river vistas.
3. You can arrange a Segway tour along the waterfront. You’ll spot the line of Segways as you drive up to the hotel, and the handy transportation machines are there for your use with a guide, making this the first and only experience of its kind in Shanghai. You’ll begin your 30-minute tour with a brief riding session followed by a trip along the Huangpu River, and the tours run daily.
4. There’s a wedding showroom. Located on the same floor as the meeting facilities, Mandarin Oriental Pudong, Shanghai offers a unique — and arguably ingenious — wedding showroom designed to make planning the big day easier. Displays for table settings, decorations and floor plans are all expertly showcased, meaning a lot of the hard work is already done for you.
5. There are 210 apartments at the hotel, too. Aside from the hotel itself, Mandarin Oriental Pudong, Shanghai also offers furnished executive apartments (studio, one-, two- and three-bedroom spaces) where you can experience all of the luxurious amenities found at the hotel such as 24-hour concierge and housekeeping services, spa access and even a VIP card for discounts throughout the property.