Answers from Our Experts (1)
When planning a trip to the charming Ocean House resort in Rhode Island, here are five things you should know:
1. Gratuity-free property. Your visit can be as relaxing as possible, no fumbling for your wallet necessary.
2. OH! Spa is a must. The 12,000 square foot destination spa features the best of the ocean and the harvest, plus offers a selection of seasonal treatments.
3. Coast restaurant. A true taste of New England, the menu at Coast changes frequently to reflect what’s fresh and in season in the Northeast.
4. Old, but new. The Forbes Travel Guide Five-Star hotel originally opened in 1868 just after the end of the Civil War. During the Gilded Age the property was a place for city-dwellers to take retreat during the hot summers. While age took its toll on the original building, the current structure was built in 2005 and has many of the same features of the original, like a wrap-around porch and towering mansard roof.
5. Ocean House seems remote on the far end of Rhode Island, but it is easily accessed by all major metropolitan areas in New England. It’s a two and half hour train ride from New York City, one and half hours from Boston, and just 45 minutes from Providence and Newport, Rhode Island.