Answers from Our Experts (1)
The best restaurants in Riviera Maya confidently churn out timeless local specialties that make room for the occasional dash of modern flair. Forbes Travel Guide editors recommend putting the following places to eat on your dining to-do list while in the region.
1. Passion by Martin Berasategui. One of Spain’s most distinguished chefs, Martin Berasategui’s Passion is located at the Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Perla resort. Here, the chef brings his signature Basque cuisine and superlative service, making the seven-course chef’s tasting a worthy indulgence.
2. Casa del Lago. Located at Rosewood Mayakoba, the Casa del Lago (which means “Lake House”), feels like it’s floating over the main pool and lagoon. This chic, date-night spot features Italian cuisine made with fresh local produce and products.
3. Le Chique. Helmed by chef Jonatán Gómez Luna, the food at Azul Sensatori’s Le Chique is meant to take the patron on what they describe as an “experiential, multi-sensory dining adventure.” Employing modernist techniques, the cuisine is surprising and delightful, one of the most worthy dining splurges in the area.
4. Imprevist. Is it Asian fusion, Mediterranean, vegetarian or vegan? At Imprevist, it doesn’t really matter that chef’s Juan Diego Solombrino can’t be pinned down to a particular genre, because it’s all delicious. Breakfast and brunches always win rave reviews, while the dinners are a bit more formal. Try the tuna tartare with avocado to start followed by seafood risotto.
5. Casitas at The Ritz-Carlton, Cancun. Imagine dining at your own private table, inside a small casita with nothing but gauzy white curtains obstructing the view between you and the ocean. One of the coolest dining experiences in Riviera Maya, The Ritz-Carlton, Cancun’s casitas can be reserved for $125 per reservation. The experience is topped off with a menu of fresh seafood and grilled items.